The Dales Way
5 3/4" x 8 1/4" • 64 pages • full color maps & photos
ISBN 9781898481423 • paperback/waterproof • $17.95 •
This charming walk runs for 79 miles (127 km) from Ilkley in the Yorkshire Dales to Bowness in the Lake District. The route heads north through Wharfedale, crisscrossing the river, and rises over high moorland to pick up River Dee through Dentdale. Briefly it joins River Lune before heading west to Bowness on Lake Windermere. The LDWA has documented Link Routes for walkers beginning in Leeds, Harrogate and Bradford.
Along the Way, you'll see impressive railway viaducts and fine stone bridges; Bolton Priory and many small churches; limestone scenery with stone walls, hay meadows and lime kilns; and heritage centers you can visit. Above all, the route is blessed with many small villages with B&Bs and welcoming pubs at strategic intervals. Gradients are modest and most people will complete it comfortably in 6 or 7 days.
This guidebook has all that a walker needs:
- concise, up-to-date directions for the main Way and Bradford Link
- background on geology, railway heritage, farming and wildlife
- side-trips to heritage centers and a feature on Bolton Priory
- contact details for accommodation and transport
- dropdown route map (1:110,000)
- over 70 glorious color photos
- waterproof, rucksack-friendly format.
Submit a Review »