Essential Guide to Travel Health, The
Don't Let Bugs, Bites, and Bowels Spoil Your Trip (Cadogan Guides, USA)
published 2009 • 5 ½”x 8 ½” • 312 pages • full-color photos • maps
ISBN 9781860114243 • paperback • $14.95 •
What the traveler needs is an inexpensive, easy-to-use, convenient health guide. This book is it. Small enough to fit in a pocket on your pack, it's so cheap you can afford an extra copy as a gift for your doctor. Best of all, this paperback covers nearly everything you need to know to prevent or treat—at least initially—90% of the diseases you are apt to encounter on a trip through South and Central America.
-South American Explorer — Seb How
“For general travel advice and information, we recommend it…” –General Practitioner Magazine
This essential guidebook gives helpful advice on all aspects of travelling—from what to expect and pre-trip vaccinations to the hazards of heat and sun in deserts and jungles, and of cold and exposure in mountains and caves. It offers the latest information on Malaria treatments and deep vein thrombosis; it assesses the usefulness of natural remedies; and covers responsible tourism. It also advises on how to treat bites and stings and deal with accidents, first aid and common ailments.
• The author is a leading authority on travel health
• Packed with fully up-to-date information, it covers everything from skin infections to dangerous animals and modern travel concerns such as “economy class syndrome”
• This is the only guide of its kind to feature a section on responsible tourism
• Includes a section on travel health for groups with special requirements, such as epilepsy sufferers, diabetics, families with children, and the elderly
• Easy-to-use tables help you match diseases to countries
Dr. Jane Wilson-Howarth is one of the world’s leading writers on travel health. She is a GP,
a trained zoologist and parasitologist, an experienced expedition doctor and a keen high-altitude trekker. She lived in Asia for 11 years but now resides in Cambridge, United Kingdom.
Cadogan Guides (USA)
Submit a Review »