Explore Mount Kilimanjaro
5 3/4" x 8 1/2" • 64 pages • ull-color photos • maps
ISBN 9781898481584 • paperback • $17.95 •
"Practical and easy-to-use guides full of relevant information and advice."-The Great Outdoors Magazine
At 5895 metres (nearly four miles) above sea level, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest point on earth to which you can walk. This is a mountain of contrasts and extremes. You start from tropical rain forest and finish in arctic conditions, passing through a landscape formed by ice and fire. Yet any well-prepared walker with enough determination may be able to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, to reach "the roof of Africa."
To climb Mount Kilimanjaro, the greatest challenge you face is the huge altitude gain. The author's advice on preventing altitude sickness is based on medical research, and on her own experience of successful ascents by four different routes. This new 4th edition of Explore Mount Kilimanjaro has been fully updated to cover the Lemosho/Shira routes, and includes:
- drop-down map showing Marangu, Machame, Lemosho and Rongai routes
- advice on planning, preparation, and choosing your route
- practical information on climbing Mount Meru (ideal to pre-acclimatise)
- advice on choosing equipment, and packing for easy retrieval
- medical advice on how to prevent and manage altitude symptoms
- background on the geology, history, habitats and wildlife
- full color throughout, with over 70 photographs.
Submit a Review »